Breeding Shih Tzu and Kennel Laws

If you are a breeder of Shih Tzu or any other dog breed you are most likely a very responsible pet owner. If you are not you assuredly should not be breeding dogs at all. With that being said this narrative will assume that the term breeder(s) is referring to man that properly cares for the dogs used for breeding and any pets that they own.

I am writing this because I am planning on getting started in the marvelous world of breeding Shih Tzu. I happen to live in Louisville, Kentucky. It is a marvelous place to be, for the most part. Let me explain. A friend of mine recommend that I check into the kennel laws and regulations now, before I buy my first dog intended for breeding purposes. I have thanked her for that recommendation because I was very surprised at what I learned. Please keep in mind that each county has its own regulations.

Shitzu Dogs

Here in my area breeders are required to have a Class A Kennel license. There is a 0 fee for this license. But as I read deeper I was surprised to learn that Animal control officers have been posing as inherent buyers. They scour the newspaper ads to find local breeders. When they come to the home they are nothing else but there to study that the breeder is caring for the dogs in an proper manner.

But this gets even better; these officers can nothing else but deem improper care due to any type of code violation or whatever else that they can think of. This includes such things as too many or not adequate wall outlets in the puppy room or improper use of an extension cord or the use of an extension cord that does not meet specific standards. These are examples that I found documented. As you can see, the officers could find a qoute in almost any home if they decided they wanted to.

So what happens when the officers search for such 'crimes'? Well, Animal control and police will return with guarantee in hand. They can arrest the breeder and take the animals. The animals are checked out by a veterinarian and then altered. If they are healthy, of a good temperament and cheap age they can be settled for adoption. If the owner pays the fines and does whatever is predicted he/she can get the dogs back. On top of the fines the owner will need to pay for the unwanted spaying/neutering of the animals.

Now I am asking you; does this sound like the city is concerned about animal welfare or about production a dollar wherever it can? I fully agree, like everyone, that breeders should supply great care for their animals. But I also know that the majority of them do, after all, breeding Shih Tzu is a chosen action that we take on because we love the dogs. Of policy there are some unscrupulous breeders, but does the city nothing else but have adequate Animal control officers to spare some to 'investigate' breeders that place ads in the newspaper? I believe their time could be better spent rescuing the animals that are truly in need.

If you believe this does not influence you because you do not live Louisville, Kentucky, you better think again. While this is being fought and is in Federal Court, the same or similar sorts of kennel laws and regulations are being discussed across the nation. Do your part to avoid such ridiculousness. Write your local government officials today to let them know how you feel.

Breeding Shih Tzu and Kennel Laws